Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Direct Correlation


There is an inverse relationship between how much writing I'm doing and how much reading I'm doing. On a positive note, I've been doing a ton of reading lately! I finally, finally read the Hunger Games. It only took me three years to get around to it. I must confess that the ending was spoiled for me last year, almost immediately after I told this particular person that I had not read the series. That might have had a little to do with my delay in reading the first book, but I'm glad I finally got around to it.

I've not read a lot of dystopian YA lit (as I mentioned in my review of Matched), but I have to say that I"m really enjoying the genre. Maybe it's influenced by my lifelong love of zombies (George A. Romaro is a genius). But I can totally understand why everyone is so into this right now. I like Suzanne Collins dark dystopia where life is hard and survival is not guaranteed. I like Ally Condie's peaceful world, where food and jobs are available, but free thought is discouraged. Both are equally depressing in their own ways. Up next, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies- finally! Or maybe I'll get back to my writing.

Side note: It's not too late to enter my Yay Contest! The soaps smell fantastic- it's all I can to keep from using them myself. I wanted to mention that the journal is a bit on the small side. It's not a full-sized notebook, more of a pocket-sized journal. Well, bigger than a pocket, smaller than a bread box. My stack of ARCs is read and waiting! Good luck, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I will admit that there are some points that are a little sloppily written where the writer confused the Regency Era for the Victorian period. However despite my skepticism, the addition of zombies to the story seems to enhance the themes and snarkiness that Austen had originally written into the story. I also have a copy of the prequel, Dawn of the Dreadfuls, that I can lend out to you once you're finished with P&P&Z. In my opinion, it's not as good, but it's still pretty entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't read about zombies because I totally believe in zombies. It's funny, because I'm OK with watching zombies on TV. They are just THAT MUCH WORSE in my imagination.

    ReplyDelete