Sunday, November 28, 2010

The Life and Times of Elizabeth B.

It's been exactly a week since all of my stuff was crammed into boxes, shoved into the back of a van, and dumped into a house that is slightly smaller than my apartment. Life has been a bit like playing Tetris on Level 9 with the height set at 5. You want to make things fit, but you already have a messed up pile of junk that you have to clear about before you can even begin stacking. 

We've been working hard this week to unpack, and this weekend, everything has started to fall into place. The cats have emerged from under the bed and have laid claim to their new spots (the back of the couch and the chair in the bedroom) Our older kitty is having some "litter box issues," in that he has decided that he no longer has to use the litter box. I think the woman in the house before us had a cat, and my theory is he's trying to overpower the scent with his own mightier musk. I'm sure he'll sort it out, but until then I will continue to chase him around the house with paper towels. Is a 16 year old cat too old to train to use the toilet? I'd want him to flush too. And to change the roll when it's empty.

While things are definitely on the up and up, there was one terrible tragedy this week: we have no internet access at the house! *Collective gasp* I'm okay. I know this is shocking, but things like this happen to the best of us. I'll pull through, I'm sure of it. I'm just not sure of when. AT&T has been less than helpful. There solution is to charge us either $60 for a new modem or $80 for someone to come out to the house and tell us what's going on. The modem isn't the issue. It worked last week, and I can connect to its IP through my computer, and I'm not about to pay $80 for someone to tell me that. The landlord is out of town this weekend, but I shot him an e-mail. I'm hoping there's a trick having to do with the house. Like only one of the phone jacks works for internet. Cross your fingers. Until then, I'll have to organize the occasional trip to Borders to get caught up on e-mail and to update you!

Now that things are settled, it's time to get cracking on NaNo! I can do 40,000 words in three days, right?

1 comment:

  1. I once did 20K in 3 days. I couldn't move my hands for 2 weeks, but I did it.

    Good to have you back! I was starting to get worried the cats had rebelled and eaten you as a warning to others who dare try and move them from their home.

    Maybe THAT's why he won't use the litter box. Maybe he knows somethign about it you don't.

    Like that they set a bomb in the bottom of it, perhaps.

    My verification word is NETLESS. How appropriate.

    ReplyDelete