Saturday, March 8, 2014

I am me

I think Marilyn Monroe said it best: "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."

My immediate inclination upon logging back into my blog after over a year's abscense is to apologize. To say sorry for not keeping up with it and for not being able to come back with amazing news about finishing my book and querying and publishing. But I can't say those things, and I'm not going to apologize. For starters, why would you all want to listen to my lame excuses? And I spend too much of my life (not just here online, but at work and with friends and family) apologizing for things that don't need to be apologized for.

I'm terrible at keeping up wtih a blog, and I need to own it. It's me!

What I've come to realize in the last year is that we all have our own journies and we're all moving at different speeds and in the end when we reach our destination, it doesn't matter if we sprinted or took a decade because it will feel just as sweet. I'm not a fast writer, as it turns out. And that's okay. I don't have to be anything I'm not. I'm doing it because it fulfills me and makes me smile, and I'll keep at it for as long as it takes.

Not to say that I shouldn't hold myself accountable in some way. I need to be better at working on my story and checking in on my blog, but apologizing isn't going to make that happen. So, I'm going to pick up from here.

Maybe my blog and book suffered a touch, but in the last year, I:
  • got married
  • became a vegan (after 15 years of vegetarianism)supported my husband as he left his job as a librarian to become a full-time musician
  • traveled
  • worked hard at my day job (9 scientific publications!)
  • entered my 8th year as a volunteer at the cat shelter I love so dearly
Whew! It's been great
. And I'm sure you all have done some amazing things- I can't wait to get caught up.

1 comment: